Butt plugs can make an excellent addition to your sex toy collection, especially if you’re an aspiring anal play enthusiast. Like a lot of people, however, you might have reservations about the idea of sticking a foreign object up your booty.
Shame and fear keep a good deal of sex fans from opening up to anal play.
You may also feel unsure about how to use butt plugs, or why people like them in the first place. I, too, used to have these questions and concerns. A few years back, anal anything was a no-go for me. Even after I’d tried anal sex several times, the thought of putting a non-human object up there still squicked me out.
That all changed after an anal sex experience that had me cumming so hard I forgot my own name and address. Butt plugs (and the patient, knowledgeable partner who suggested using them,) played a big ol’ role in that enlightening session. I’m now officially a fan and wish to spread the love to you!
So, dear reader here’s the lowdown on butt plugs and how to use them.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is a Butt Plug, Anyway?
- 2 How Are Butt Plugs Shaped?
- 3 What Are Butt Plugs Made Of?
- 4 What Sizes Do These Toys Come In?
- 5 Why Do People Use Them?
- 6 Are Butt Plugs Safe?
- 7 So, How Do You Use This Kinky Thing Safely?
- 8 What Types of Butt Plugs Are out There?
- 9 Well, What Are You Waiting For?!
What Is a Butt Plug, Anyway?
A butt plug is a sex toy that’s designed to be inserted in the rectum and held in place by the powerful muscles of the sphincter. You can buy them in a wide variety of shapes, colors, textures, and designs. (More on that later!)
How Are Butt Plugs Shaped?
The butt plug is shaped with a tapered tip for easy insertion into the anus and become wider along the middle like most penises do. The end of a butt plug has two important features:
One, a notch that’s thinner in diameter than the middle of the plug. (Your sphincter will hug it tightly like a long-lost friend, keeping the toy snugly in place.) And two, a flared base that’s designed to remain outside the body. This will keep the plug from sliding completely inside you and make it easy to remove.
Unlike a vagina, the rectum lacks a convenient cervix to keep the body from swallowing objects and holding them hostage.
Always buy a butt plug with a flared base.
That is to avoid those legendary-yet-awkward trips to the hospital we’ve all heard so much about.
What Are Butt Plugs Made Of?
Butt plugs can be made from a variety of materials, including latex, glass, metal, wood, and silicone. Silicone is a particularly good choice, as it can be safely disinfected in boiling water. Glass is also good for easy cleaning.
What Sizes Do These Toys Come In?
Butt plugs come in many sizes. Some have the girth of a middle finger at their widest point, while others sport the whopping thickness of a coke can.
Jon Millward wrote a great article for some seriously hard data on sex toy sizes from Lovehoney, the UK’s #1 supplier.
Why Do People Use Them?
I’m glad you asked! People dig butt plugs for many different reasons.
The anus is packed with nerve endings, making it an intensely sensitive and stimulating place to be touched. Additionally, butt plugs can stimulate the prostate in men and be physically arousing for women, sparking anal orgasms that will have you melting into a messy and delicious pool of butter. I speak from experience!
Anal sex preparation
Your sphincter muscles are used to pushing things out rather than inviting things in. It takes training to get your body and mind comfortable with back-door penetration. Anal plugs can help you gradually relax and work up to accepting your partner’s size, reducing the chances of a painful or dangerous anal sex experience.
Shits and giggles
You can come up with oodles of fun and creative games involving butt plugs. Imagine strolling through the streets of Paris on your honeymoon with a vibrating plug hidden under your clothes, activated by a descrete remote control in your partner’s hand. Kinky!
Speaking of kinky BDSM, butt plugs can hold special appeal for power play-inclined peeps. Anal play is incredibly intimate and, initially at least, can be challenging or embarrassing for the receiver. Some submissive practitioners adore offering this sacrifice to their partner, while some dominants enjoy guiding their sub through the butt-play process.
Many people out there still consider butt stuff to be risqué, dirty, naughty, perverted, or abnormal. This mentality can be greatly arousing for people who get off on such ideas.
Owning one’s WHOLE body
There’s a sense of pride that comes with embracing your asshole, a part of the body that’s supposed to be off-limits, according to some. The feeling of fullness butt plugs create is a continuous reminder to the wearer that their body is THEIRS and no one can stop them from enjoying every inch of it. Plug it with pride!
Are Butt Plugs Safe?
When used properly, yes!
However, studies show that anal penetration of any flavor comes with risks. The chance of catching an STI increases dramatically for peeps who take it in the butt, so be sure to get tested and/or use protection if anal sex is also on your menu.
Additionally, rumors abound that stretching the anus can lead to horrifying injuries like prolapse, or contribute to fecal incontinence. Yikes! However, many of these rumors aren’t backed up by irrefutably solid data, and reports of serious injuries are rare. Statistically speaking, if you and your partner take the proper precautions, butt plugs are unlikely to cause you much grief.
So, How Do You Use This Kinky Thing Safely?
There are a number of things you and your partner can do to ensure a smooth ride during your ass plug adventure.
#1 Start small and work your way up
You want to gently increase the size of your toys over time, rather than signing up to accept an object your body can’t possibly handle right away.
#2 Take your time and go slowly
I mean REALLY slowly. Anal play is a tortoise-and-hare game: slow and steady wins the race.
If you feel sharp pain while inserting your plug, you’re moving too fast.
Take a long breath, have a cup of tea, and chill the fuck out, my overly ambitious explorer!
#3 Focus on relaxing your body and mind
Anal play should be exciting and transformative, rather than feeling like a fight between you and your bunghole. And more importantly, tense muscles increase your chances of injuries like anal fissures. Consciously relaxing will allow your butt plug to glide right in like a majestic swan.
#4 Use abundant, generous, copious amounts of LUBE
The ass is not a self-lubricating area, so you and your partner will have to juice it up manually to make insertion of your butt plug pleasurable. “Which lube should I choose?!” you eagerly ask? A fine question!
Pick your lube based on the material of your butt plug.
Never use a silicone-based lube with a silicone plug. Silicone bonds to silicone, making for a sticky, unsexy mess.
#5 Clean your plugs thoroughly after use, every time
The unsanitary anal play is a massive no-go that can lead to infection. Start by rinsing off any leftover lube or poopy bits with warm water. Then, take some antibacterial soap and gently wash the surface of the plug with your fingers. Voila! You’re all set for another go.
#6 Store your plug somewhere sanitary where it won’t get ruined
Badly kept toys can easily morph or be damaged in other ways. If your plug vibrates or requires batteries for some other reason, remove them when you’re not using the toy. Some sex toys drain batteries if you leave them in while they’re not in use.
What Types of Butt Plugs Are out There?
If you’re ready to give butt plugs a try, you may feel overwhelmed by the plethora of options on the market. Here’s a list of choices for leisurely browsing.
Vibrating Butt Plugs
These can provide wearers with mild to intense levels of stimulation. They can be battery operated, USB rechargeable, controlled by wireless remote, and more!
- It has a very ergonomic fit that stays in and does not come out when walking around like the other ones that say they can but don't.
- The 8 different settings on it are absolutely mind-blowing, and it gives you an incredibly intense anal, prostate & testicle sensation when you use it.
- PALOQUETH prostate massager is great for couples play, whether straight, gay, or anything in between if you want to diversify your bedroom activities . And if you're single, you'll love it too!
- It improves blood flow to the prostate, which increases circulation. This can help with sexual dysfunction, such as loss of erections, impotence or ejaculatory problems.
- The shape and fit is perfect in & out! 4 insertable inches and 3.3 inch circumference make it great for all levels of experience.
Tail Butt Plugs
These are awesome for gradually pushing the back door open, allowing you to work up to bigger sizes with a single convenient toy.
- Quick Air Release Valve
Ribbed Butt Plugs
These can be great for wearers who enjoy the feeling of having a plug gently pulled in and out of their ass during use. Have fun experimenting with continuous stimulation!
For people seeking a more SHOCKING (hah!) experience, these can provide an extra zap of satisfaction.
- Requires Zeus Powerbox
- Stimulates you from the inside
- Easy to use
If you’re looking to fill extra full, why not go for one of these? Fill it with whatever you like and go to town! Don’t be shy!
Hey guys, you’re in for a treat! There are gaggles of butt plugs created specifically to stimulate your prostate. Some are even built with an attached cock ring.
- Made of safety high quality silicone, healthy non-toxic, smooth, soft and flexible, can be in direct contact with the skin. You can safely use this sex toy to enjoy ultimate pleasure.
- Uniquely C shaped curve anal plug, easy to use. This design can effectively stimulate G-spot and can prevent beginners from too deep insertion.
- 10 frequency vibration massage, only one button, easy to operate. The bullet vibrator inside is detachable so that users can remove it easily when not in use.
- Wearable male penis ring is designed to restrict blood flow to the penis achieving a stronger erection, extend sexual pleasure and prolong ejaculation.
- Life waterproof design, convenient to clean, can be repeated use.
These offer additional opportunities for you extra-intrepid types out there. The makers of this plug explain its appeal nicely: “Endless exploration possibilities – Insert fingers, lube, or even a vibrator right through the tunnel. Isn’t it time to stretch your imagination?” You know, I’d never thought about it, but they may be right! Carpe diem!
- Hollow Design Allows Unparalleled Access with 1" Tunnel Opening
- Generous Size Provides Satisfying Full Feeling Pleasure
- Dual-Textured Finish For Increased Backdoor Stimulation
- Ergonomic Shape For Easy Insertion
- Flat Base For Comfortable Wear ability And Easy Removal
These can make for visually appealing works of art and, as mentioned above, are conveniently easy to clean. This lovely set comes in a variety of charming shapes and colors.
- PERFECT MATERIAL: crystal glass, Beautiful set of glass toys. Came in nice boxes all safe and secure. You can make them warm or cold as you wish and let you enjoy the greatest pleasure. Please use this anal plug with lubricant. Lots of shapes to choose from and wonderful collection.
- WONDERFUL DESIGN:100% Brand new. We have scientific design for your plugs and make you drop into the sea of love.Enrich Your Sexual Life. Crystal glass plugs are safe, luxurious and new without silicone smell.They are clean and convenient but also can be used heated or frozen, ice water stimulation. Please clean it before you use. It's surface is quite smooth, nice touch feelings in hand,and convenient to insert inside.
- CAN'T REFUSE THE REASON: TO MAKE YOU HIGH TIDE SURGING. Different combinations can bring you infinite mystery of sexual Orgasmic pleasure.The toy can increase sex appeal, improve the erotic quality. Add to your sex experience.Try it boldly to make your sexual love no longer monotonous.
- PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY: Our products are packed by safe package without sensitive words showed on the package. Placed in a sealed bag, discreet shipping.A great gift for your lover or yourself. please be careful to keep it clean before and after use.Lots of shapes to choose from and wonderful collection.
- GREAT SERVICE:Upon receipt of our products, if you are not 100% satisfied with the quality or concerned, Please contact us, We will try our best to solve it. -Our belief is that the interest of our customers comes first. So, we will do everything we can to protect your interest.
Jeweled plugs are elegant, simple, and popular. Choose a gem in your favorite color to bring out your inner sparkle.
- 100% Brand new,Smooth, Solid Stainless Steel in Design, Jewel Adornment
- Its surface is quite smooth, nice touch feelings in hand, and convenient to insert inside.
- SIZE ::3.35"x1.3"(Medium)
- Safe, non-poisonous and no odor. Great for Beginners Enrich Your Sex Life
- Butt plug is smooth, mellow and full. The front part is tiny, convenient to insert and no damage to skin.
Well, What Are You Waiting For?!
I hope this post has helped answer your questions and provide peace of mind about the wide world of anal plug pleasure. Go on now, get out there and give it the ol’ college try!